Friday, October 23, 2009

LAb 3 - Neography - where all my favorite books take place


View My Favorite Books in a larger map

So I found using My Google Maps to be extremely easy to use, and the problem was not using it but rather of thinking things to put on the map!
I eventually decided to try to post locations of where my favorite books took place, which was an interesting project for me personally
as well since I could see in which areas of the world my literature focused on.

Neography as a whole can be very useful, especially when one is in an unfamiliar area or would like to create a visual representation of something
in the world that one cannot find a source of already. This allows for improvement and frequent updates by the people who know areas best. This allows
for easier travel planning and adventuring in areas with which you are unfamiliar or which you wish to discover something new. Also, it is much easier and
cheaper to access a map on the internet, which is the main way that neography is accessed, with this greater ease, people may locate things on the fly,
and quickly find anything they need - drugstores, points of interests, etc. and also it is cheaper than buying a map or travel guide for every area where
one would like to visit.

However, like most open sources of information on the internet, neography can be easily skewed and lead to misinformation. Without a strict authority checking
to make sure if the sources are indeed placed where it is correct, things may indeed be misrepresented. Also, it is easy to map private information that though available
on the internet already, may not have been looked at before put on a map (such as the Prop 8 map we saw in lecture). Also, by simply by leaving out points or adding too many
you can make the data appear in one or another.

1 comment:

  1. Your map has a very interesting topic -- your favorite books. I really like the pictures you attached to each icon.
    However, you are expected to add in some more complicated functions such as videos(but I am sure you know how to do it).
    And, as said in the syllabus, you also need to write several paragraphs talking about your experience and understanding on neogeography. Did you post that discussion? If you forget, please update it by tomorrow tonight and I will re-grade your lab3. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Followers